Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I've Got Some Questions

I have had some questions running around in this little brain of mine. And no shocker here, but they are mostly about running! I am new to this whole running thing and I need a little advice/help with this whole thing! And that is where you friends come in!

Question #1
Do you have any problems with your calves cramping? If so what do you do? Mine start cramping when I am barely half a mile in sometimes and I hate it. It makes the rest of the run so hard. I have been trying to really stretch before and after I run but I haven't noticed much difference.


Question #2
How often do you run? I have read and heard many people say not to run everyday, especially when you are just starting out. But sometimes I really want to. Would it be that bad if I did?

Question #3
What are your tricks to helping you get through the miles? I have a running partner which has been AMAZING. But if we talk too much I get winded, but if we don't talk sometimes I get bored. Any suggestions?

Question #4
Do you have any other great tips for running? I am all about trying new things and learning new ways to do something! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated:)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hey lady!! So as for the cramping calves, I would definitely recommend foam rolling. That was recommended to me when I was having knee pain, and after just a few times of foam rolling, I've never had that pain again! It will definitely massage out any cramp in your calves for suure!

As for running every day, I would just make sure you're getting some strength/low impact things in there too! I will be the first to raise my hand and say that going too hard too quick can end up in an injury :( But I don't think going every day necessarily is bad, just make sure you're not doing super long runs every single day. And get some strength training in there too!

So glad you're enjoying running girl! It's really the best :)

The Unlikely Runner said...

#1 - cramping calves - oh how painful! I have experienced this before and I would say to foam roll those babies out! It will hurt like crazy at first but in the long run it will be totally worth is (yes, pun intended ;)). I would also maybe look at the shoes that you are wearing, they may be causing you problems. If you think running is going to be a constant in your life I would definitely encourage you to go have your gait evaluated and get fitted at a local running store for some shoes. You will pay $100+ but again, it will be absolutely worth it if you plan to continue running.
#2 - I don't think there is anything wrong with running every day as long as you listen to your body and don't push yourself. For me I know my limit is 4 days a week and I can only do 2 days in a row of running. Things like the elliptical are nice to mix it up but still get in a workout that is similar to running, it's just less impact. However, since you are starting out I would say enjoy it and maybe every other day add in more walking.
#3 - this is a hard one for me because a lot of times I just think while running. I don't like listening to music and I mostly run alone but I have heard people say that books on tape are good. It also might be nice to download an app like couch to 5K or some other running workout app to mix up the routine too. Then maybe you won't find yourself winded as much.
#4 - as for your forth question I would say HAVE FUN! That's the most important. And be consistent. Don't over do it but keep at it so that it's habit forming and you see the results you like. I would also suggest finding a 5K to run together so that you can see the fruits of your labor :)
Good luck and I hope this helps!

Melissa Jo said...

1- As your legs muscles get used to the "new" movement they will get better - but continue with stretching before and after running as well as foam rolling your calves will help too.
2- With my super busy schedule I can't run every day - but I do try and do run every other day or at least three times a week. Just listen to your body and make sure that you rest. Maybe laternating the length of the runs to run every day and then have short runs would be good.
3- I have to have my music and it has to be upbeat music that I want to "dance" to because it gets me in my groove. I'm not a talker because I get too winded and then can' run at all! Also some running apps will talk to you during your run, just play with your settings. Mine talks to me every two minutes to tell me how long its been, how far ive gotten, what my average pace is, etc... keeps me motivated.
4- my biggest tip is to keep running past the days that arent your best runs because they can be so discouraging