Friday, March 1, 2013

God's Plan

Last night after class there was an extra credit opportunity for my Christ and Culture class.  I had to go for one of my scholarships as well, so I went.  I went because I had to.  And then, of course, God had other plans for me.

During these forums, which happen every fall and spring semester, 1-2 Milligan graduates are brought in to share about their lives after Milligan.  It's to show us seniors that not having a plan is ok, and not following a plan is ok.

via
They fed us and then I sat back to listen.  And of course I was making my sarcastic comments every five seconds to my friends.  I really didn't care about what I was going to hear that night.  I was wrong.

One of the speakers was our cheer and dance coach.  She graduated from Milligan in 1997 with a plan to teach.  She taught locally for 5 years, had a baby, stayed home, became a speaker for retreats, came back to Milligan to coach cheer and teach part time, and then finally became full time.

I left out one major part of her story.  She kept saying one thing that I could not get out of my head.  At every turn in her life, and most days, she prayed a certain prayer.  She prayed that God would show her the way to go and that she would do his will.

via
Friends this prayer has been on my heart for the past couple of months.  Mostly for Grad school.  I have such a strong desire to go and do what God wants me to do, not what I want me to do.  I want to go where he needs me, not where I  think I'm needed.  This is not exactly the easiest thing to do.

I have so many people trying to advise me where I should go (which I am BEYOND grateful for those people caring so much about me to give me advice) but I struggle with listening to others and not God.  I pray every night he will not only show me where I should go, but that I will listen and know.

Today I have my third Grad School interview.  And next Friday my fourth.  Within the next month or so I have to make a decision...and I pray I make the right one!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Girl I can soooo relate to wanting to seek God's will over your own! Over the past year, I have SLOWLY starting realizing that the only way I can get through this life being the best that I can possibly be is to follow God's plan, aka seek His will in all things. It's such a refreshing realization that He will lead me on all paths, but I can definitely relate that sometimes it's hard to know what He's saying when it doesn't seem clear. I'll be praying that God make this decision SO clear for you! I know you are going to do so great! :)

Melissa Jo said...

Thank you for joining up with us! It is amazing how when you leave life up to the Lords path how he will bless you in ways you never thought possible. I lost my job February 2011 and kept praying about where the Lord would take me next that he would open the door for where he would want me and I would (try) not to question his will. In March 2011 I started with my current company and I have to say it was in a field (construction) that I had never pictured myself in. But 1 year later I can honestly say this was absolutely the path the Lord had for me. I'm upcoming on possibly transferring to another area and I just say in my prayers "Lord, take me where you want me and I will find you wherever I am" Am I scared? Absolutely! Do I have faith that wherever he takes me He will also sustain me? Absolutely. Check out the promises of Psalm 55:22 "Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved."

Janna Renee said...

Don't you love when something affects your heart more than you expected? Sounds like a very awesome event!

Leslie @ Body Won't Break said...

I've found that, often times, when I really don't want to go somewhere (like church) it's because Satan is trying to steer me away. And when I go, God always shows up in HUGE ways.

Letting His will be done can be one of the hardest things, but He always knows best.

Stopping by from the Prayer Chain link up!

Victoria said...

good luck on your interviews!!

prayers coming your way!

beautiful verses you picked :)

happy sunday!

Kiki said...

Visiting from the link-up and I just wanted to tell you how much I relate to your prayer request! I finish up college later this month and will be in this time of waiting and unknown. And it is definitely a struggle for me to remember that His plans are perfect for me--even if I don't think so at the time!

Praying for you! And good luck on those interviews, too! :)

Julie said...

I can really relate! I've been having a struggle deciding on my future in school and have been debating changing my major. I was so worried about my future and just doing what God was calling me to do! I prayed about it a lot and talked it over with my family and boyfriend as well. God never fails to deliver! I've finally settled on something and I feel it's so right for me and I'm really happy about it. Just keep the prayers coming and He'll guide you :) I'll be saying a little prayer for God to be showing you just where He wants you to be!