Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I'm Fine


We all say it all the time. "I'm fine" or "I'm good". When asked how are we doing that day. Being a counselor in training (oh yes very technical and important title there) I ask this question and get this answer from just about every single one if my clients. I can't think of a time one walked in and responded differently. As a matter of fact I don't remember the last time I answered something differently when asked how I was doing.

This got me thinking. Does saying "I'm fine" or "I'm ok" really tell the person we are talking to anything? No it doesn't. I am now understanding why one of my professors hates when I came in and answered with that. Part of me wonders if we don't want to share or if we don't think the person asking wants to know. Probably a mixture if both comes into play. 

As Christians we are called to live in community with one another. We are told to be a community and rely on that community. We have this community who is there to care for us and when they ask "how are you" they mean it and don't just want an "I'm fine". Hebrews 10:24-25 states, 

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."
\






Finding a community to do this with, even just one other person, can be hard. Trust me I know all about it. But doing so can provide strength and support that we all need to get through this life. No one wants to go through life on their own. We all have a desire to do life with people. 






Most of us have that one person we can honestly tell how we are doing. They don't get the "I'm fine" answer. They get the truth. Why can't we do this with more people? Why not answer the guy next door who asks how your doing with an "you know not so great. I'm a little stressed" or an "I'm great! I just had the best day ever!" Why not have conversation with someone? Why not really care when you ask the how are you question?






I know I have a lot of questions in this post. And it may be all overthe place. You may even be wondering what in the world I have gotten into. But when it comes down to it I just care. And I want others to care. I want people to be honest when they tell me how they are doing and I want to be honest when I am asked





I am setting a challenge for myself and for anyone else who wants it to be more honest. Stop saying "I'm fine" or "I'm good". Start saying how you really feel. And mean it when you ask how someone else is doing that day. Be prepared to listen and give empathy if need be. Be prepared to rejoice with that person. Be present and care. 
Signature

2 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

We talked about this with my volunteer team at church on Sunday, to try and really get a feel for how people are truly feeling and what's going on in their lives vs. settling for an "I'm fine".

Amy said...

Such great stuff in here!