Monday, March 17, 2014

How I Handle Stress

This is my happy place. On the island with the family and relaxing. Couldn't have asked for a better weekend. 

It's no surprise that I have a hard time handling stress in my life.  I let it take over my life and run me into the ground all the time.  I use to say I thrived off stress and did my best work then.  It was a lie.   Stress makes me go crazy and I really do better when I know I have time and I am not stressed.

All of this to say I have found some ways to help me handle the stress that come my way.  It has been trial and error to figure these things out. I have taken from others and come up with some on my own. 

1. I make lists
Anytime I know I have quite a few things to get done that could become stressful and overwhelming I make a list. And then when I complete each item on the list I cross it off.  Best feeling ever crossing it off! 

2. I plan time to relax
This is a big one for me. I have to make time for myself. I have to tell myself to relax. This may just be for an hour but in the end I am less stressed then I was before. 

3. I work out
Running. Weights. Classes. Anything to get my mind off of what I believe I need to be doing. Releasing that energy is so good for me. And I feel better about myself when I finish a workout. So it's a win win if you ask me. 

4. I talk
I call one of the besties and I talk. Talking through something relieves stress for me. Seriously I think I would be an awesome counseling client because I love to talk so much and it works for me. So if we ever become friends be prepared to hear it all from me. 

5. I cry
This doesn't happen all the time, but when the stress reaches a certain level this is all I can do. I cry it out. And when I am done I feel better. Tears can be magical friends. 

For someone who does not handle stress very well it is important for me to know what will relieve it. I need all the help I can get in this area! Anyone else have a tired and true way to relieve their stress?
Signature

3 comments:

The Modern Tulip said...

Working out is key to handling my stress. It's amazing how hard it is to do, but how great I feel once I have done it!

Miss Riss said...

I never underestimate the power of a good cry!! Sometimes that's what does the trick for me!

Miss Riss said...

I never underestimate the power of a good cry!! Sometimes that's what does the trick for me!