Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Online Dating: The First Step

Last week I wrote about how I was thinking about online dating.  And then I got an overall YES from people that I should do it.  Many cautioned me about being safe, but that they had had a good experience and thought I should give it a try.  Even my whole family was on board with it.

So this weekend while I was in Macon with my sister, I signed up for Christian Mingle.  And even though it has only been a few days, I thought I would share my experience for far.  Online dating has definitely become more of a common way for people to date, I feel as though there is still some kind of stigma against it.  While many have said they met their spouse/significant other online, the experience isn't always shared.  So of course, I decided I must share mine.

First off, I hate it when I have to answer the question: Tell us about yourself.  Even my "About Me' page on here has always been hard for me to write.  I never know what to say.  And this time I am trying to say something to convince someone to date me? Yeah no.  Pretty sure I asked Mattie 467 times what to write in that space.

Do you write a lot?  Or only enough to get their attention? Do I explain all my hobbies?  Do I even have a hobby?  What about the blog?  Do I say I have one and then have them creeping up one me?  ( that was a definite no).  

I finally got something out and then had to answer 5384956 more questions.  I found out what color I was (blue) but do not ask me what that means.  It has something to do with matching you with others. I would associate it with a personality type assessment.  

After filling out everything they needed to know to match me to people, I finally got to start looking.  And others could look at my profile.   Friends, there are some interesting people out there on the internet trying to find love.  

Many of my "matches" did not come anywhere close to what I was looking for.  Just because I know you may be wondering "what is Mosby looking for?"  here is the basics that can automatically give you a yes (or a no)

1. Educated.  I want someone who has a college education.  It is very important to me to that they are as motivated as I am in their career.  It has nothing to do with money, as much as having someone on the same level as me.

2.  Height.  Above 5'8'' please.  I am right at 5'7'' and I like to wear heels when I can.  Simply put, I just like taller guys.

3.  How often they attend church.  We can already assume since they are on Christian Mingle that they are a Christian.  But attending church on occasion?   Not for me. I want someone who goes to church weekly and puts God first in their life.

4.  Attractive.  I'm just being honest, if there isn't a physical attraction there then I move on.  (Also guys have NO CLUE how to take pictures of themselves.  I have seen more up the nose pictures of guys then I ever care to see)

I decided when I went into this I was going to be as picky as I wanted to be.  I am not going to settle and if it isn't there for me with one guy, then I am moving on.  I am not on there just to date for the sake of dating.  This is all a pretty big deal to me.

So the next big question I bet you all are asking?  "Have you met anyone yet?"  As of Tuesday night (when I wrote this post) I had not met anyone.  Several guys have shown an interest (all the creepy ones....go me go!) and I have shown an interest in a couple.  But nothing else besides that.  I'm not talking to anyone and I have no plans for a date in the short future. 

I completely realize that it has been less than a week, so no I was not thinking I would have met and married anyone by now.  I just thought I would give a little update to this new part of my life.  I have no idea what is going to come of this, but you never know what will happen when you put yourself out there!
Signature

12 comments:

Mosby Hardin said...

Ahaha the "up the nose" pics - so funny!! PS YAY FOR DISQUS!!!

Mosby Hardin said...

PPS SO HAPPY YOU DID THIS!

Mosby Hardin said...

(the dating, not the disqus).. but that, too ;) Okay, I'm done.

Mosby Hardin said...

Yay for all of it! I thought I would give both disqus and the dating a try:) And up the nose pics...please don't ever let Jacob post those!

Mosby Hardin said...

I just found your blog through Lauren Albrecht's blog. I met my husband online through eHarmony.com. We dated for four years and have been married for almost a year and a half. I love online dating, so I say way to go for it. One of my best friends met her husband on Christian Mingle. :) Have fun with it!

Mosby Hardin said...

Hi Mosby! I met my husband online through ChristianDatingForFree.com - we dated for a year, and have been married for 3 1/2 years come December. I too, hated the 'Tell me about you' question because you don't want to write a novel but you also have to have standards that are clearly set out. Please, please don't settle. Take your time and if you don't meet anyone - know that God is working His magic. I saw so many unattractive pictures, on my time at ChristianMingle - it was hard not to laugh. ;)

Mosby Hardin said...

Thank you so much for this! It is great to hear from someone who can relate to where I am at! I am hopeful about everything, but also I am making sure to put this in God's hands!

Mosby Hardin said...

Thanks for finding me! I love hearing from people who have done online dated and had success! It is a great encouragement to hear from you!

Mosby Hardin said...

Proud of you for stepping outside your box!! I'm sure with patience the creepy ones will weed out and you'll (hopefully!) find some keepers!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Mosby Hardin said...

Also you're 5'7"? Don't judge me for being 5 ft when we see each other Thursday k? I swear I'm full grown...

Mosby Hardin said...

Haha I hope the creepy ones go away!!! And don't worry you will learn all about it!

Mosby Hardin said...

haha yeah I'm like barely 5'7''. All my friends have been like 5 foot so no judgement here!