Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pro's and Con's of Moving After College


When I graduated from high school in 2009 I chose to move 12 hours away from home to go to Milligan College.  Four years later I had a choice to make: move back home or stay in Tennessee.  One meant I would be with my family, the other meant I would be with my best friends.  In the end I chose to move back home for Graduate school.  There have been many pro's and some con's to me moving away post college.
Pro's

1.  I was back with my family and had a lot more time to spend with them after 4 years of only seeing them a couple times a year.


2.  It was a fresh start for me.  Both academically and personally.  I decided it would be best for me to learn from new people.  If I had stayed in Tennessee I would have had the same professors I had had for my undergrad.  Personally I was able to make new friends, even if I did resist it for a while.

3.  I moved to a place I could see myself staying for the rest of my life.  I was born and raised in Florida and even though I loved Tennessee, I knew I was not going to live there my whole life.  So why not come back to the place where I knew I would be?


4.  I now get to travel a lot more.  Since graduating some of my friends have stayed in Tennessee and others have moved.  And now I get to travel to new places and have fun experiences with them.  This is definitely a priority of mine.

Con's
1.  The biggest con is that moving away from my best friends put a large strain on most of them.  We were use to seeing each other everyday and then all of a sudden I never saw them.

2.  I didn't realize how scary and hard it would be to make new friends.  In college your friends are right there living down the hall from you.  In real life where do you meet friends?  I did make friends from one job and from grad school.  Without those places I do not know how I would have done it.

3.  I miss Tennessee.  I miss the fall and the snow (never thought I would say that one) and I miss the four seasons.  I see things from friends still in college all the time and my heart longs to go back there.  Please tell me every college student feels this way the first couple of years out?


Fortunately for me I seem to have one more pro than con!  I am so happy with my choice to have moved home and would not go back and change it if I could.  Yes there have been some hard times.  And yes I have had nights with regret.  But overall, it was the best decision I ever made.
Signature

No comments: