Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What's In A Name?

I get asked all the time where my name comes from.  It is not exactly the most common name, so it does not surprise me when I get asked this.  Over the years I have come up with a quick answer, even though there really is a bit of a back story behind it.  Maybe some of you were wondering about my name, maybe you weren't.  But today you shall learn!

It was important for my parents to give their children family names.  And they did so with all but my youngest brothers first name (sorry you weren't loved enough Bryce).  When Mattie was born my parents went to my Dad's side of the family.  She was named Mattie Lee after my Dad's grandmother.


When I was born my parents looked at the other three grandmothers names to pick one for me.  The options were: Mary Mosby, Bonnie Ethel, or Irma Lois.  I am not quite sure which one is worse.  I mean really how often do you hear any of those names these days?!

Since Mary Mosby was my Mom's grandmother and my Mom was also named after her (Mary Anne) they went with that one knowing they would always call me Mosby.  Don't worry my dad made sure there wasn't anything that rhymed with it that other kids could call me.

So where does the original Mary Mosby get the name Mosby?  Well from John S. Mosby.  He was a Confederate Army commander during the Civil War.  He was a hellion (which I have been told I love up to) and had the Mosby's Raiders.

via
Apparently my mom's dad's mom's (the original Mary Mosby) family wanted to "represent" him in some way, so when their next child was born she shared his name.  And now I have the name.

I always love hearing where names come from, especially ones as unique as mine.  There is always a reason behind why we were names what we were, even if it is simply our mom loved the name.  
Signature

1 comment:

Miss Riss said...

I learned things in this post. But also, can I please call you Irma from now on?? K thanks.