Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Do You Remember?

Today is a day that will forever be marked in the history of the United States.  11 years ago today we were attacked.

via
When asked the question if I remember what was going on that day, to most people's surprise I say yes.  See I was a wee little thing back in 2001.  5th grade to be exact.  But I remember that day clearer than even field day of that year.

At the time that we heard about the planes crashing into the Twin Towers, my class was in the music room.  We were happily singing along with Ms. Red, doing what all 5th graders do.  That was until someone walked into the classroom and whispered in Ms. Red ear.

All of us could sense immediately that something was wrong.  Ms. Red was clearly upset and asked us all to quiet down.  No one knew whether they should tells us kids or not about what happened.  Maybe we were too young to know. Maybe we wouldn't understand.  But they told us anyways.

Did I have a clue as what the World Trade Center was? No.  But did I understand the importance and terror of a plane purposefully being flown into it? Yes.  Any kid knows that is not OK.

Many kids were pulled out of school that day to be with their families.  When my Dad came home that night and as we watched the news, he explained how horrible this was.

September 11, 2001 will always hold a special meaning to all Americans.  Do you remember?
Photobucket

No comments: